Thursday, October 6, 2011

Longer Term Missions for NASA

NASA created an partically inflatable habitat that can allow astronauts to stay in space for a longer time and also remain safe. They tested the habitat in the barren area of Arizona because it has the same kind of terrain as space does. They sent the astronauts to this habitat to sleep overnight and would have them do stimulation work during the day every day. The structure is currently made of a hard cylindrical shell with some inflatable parts. There are four rooms; two outside additional for cleaning dust off and for hygiene and a inflatable part that gives the habitat a second level for sleeping and other recreational activities. Inside the habitat the astronauts will be able to control the temperature and other things with iPhones and iPads.

They created this vessel so that astronauts will be able to survive while living on the Moon, Mars, an asteroid, or just free flying. Deep space missions are dangerous because of the radiation that causes cancer and solar flares. Being able to stay in space longer can really change space science. They could physically go out into space and study different space specimens. They hope to have a way to test a flying unit in space within the next 10 years. I find this absolutely fascinating. I was upset when I found out they were cutting back on NASA's funds but I think if they could successfully create a unit that can safely keep astronauts in space for longer change NASA history.

No comments:

Post a Comment